Looking at yourself as a reader can help you to better understand who you can be as a writer. Asking your inner reader questions can be a great way to teach yourself to be a superior storyteller.
Here are some questions to get you started:
1. Why do I read?
2. What do the books I love have in common?
3. Who am I as a reader? What do I want out of a story?
4. If you could write like one author, who would you choose? Why?
5. What is one beginning AND ending (can be from different books) that has stuck out to you as a reader? What made them memorable for you?
6. What characters/fandom would you get in a duel over to defend their honor? Why?
I think you can see where I'm going with these questions. Look at your favorites, then look at why they're your favorites. Ask yourself how you can emulate those characteristics in your own writing. Interview yourself! Then be inspired by the stories you love and WRITE LIKE THE WIND, FRIENDS!